Michael A. Abel
A veteran of two top-tier national law firms and a leading Fortune 500 corporation, Mike Abel is an experienced Florida trial attorney who concentrates his practice in the representation of both corporate and individual clients in wide ranging business disputes. Recognizing that a small, nimble law firm could provide a far better value for clients seeking intelligent, prompt and personalized legal services, Mike started his own law firm in Jacksonville in 2017. He proudly joined forces with one of Jacksonville’s most admired lawyers, Dan Bean, in 2018 so that Abel Bean Law could continue to serve clients with the personalized dedication, flexibility, convenience and value that only a smaller firm can provide.
Since 1991, Mike has handled and managed complex civil litigation in both state and federal courts, as well as in alternative dispute resolution forums. His specialized areas of practice include: Commercial Litigation, Trust and Estate Litigation, Corporate Litigation, Real Estate Litigation, the representation of corporate executives and senior-level employees, and Local Counsel Services. He also provides General Counsel Services to multiple companies and organizations.
Mike and his family have been an active part of the Jacksonville community since moving from Virginia in 1995. Mike is an avid runner who has completed many half and full marathons, which is no small feat given his advancing age. He is also active in the bar and the community.
Mike is also passionate about providing pro bono legal services to those in the community who may have difficulty accessing the legal system. He has been recognized by several organizations, including the American Bar Association for providing pro bono legal services to active duty men and women serving in the armed forces.
- University of Virginia, B.A.
- University of Virginia School of Law, J.D.
- Virginia – 1991
- Florida – 1996
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- All State Courts in Virginia
- All State Courts in Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
Honors & Awards:
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Transportation Law, 2007-2016, Commercial Litigation, 2017, 2018
- Client Service All-Star, The BTI Consulting Group, Inc., 2017
- Jacksonville Magazine, Best Jacksonville Lawyers, 2007-2018
- ABA Military Pro Bono Project Outstanding Services Award, 2012, 2014
Bar and Community Service:
- Merit Selection Panel, United States District Court, Middle District of Florida, 2014-2015; 2017-2018
- Fourth Circuit Judicial Nominating Commission, 2014-present
- Federal Bar Association, Jacksonville Chapter, Board Member, Officer and Past-President, 2009-2016
- Grievance Committee (current Chair), United States District Court, Middle District of Florida, 2013-present
- Jewish Federation of Jacksonville, Board Member, 2012-2016
- Congregation Etz Chaim, Board Member, 2018
- Jacksonville Country Day School, Board of Trustees, 2005-2011; Development Committee, Chair, 2007-2009
- The Florida Bar, Fourth Judicial Circuit Grievance Committee, 2005-2007